Tuesday 21 August 2012

Thrifty Finds

Since i was a youngster i remember being dragged out of bed early to go to the bootfairs with my mum and dad, at stupid o clock in the freezing cold, sitting in a van teeth chattering while i munched on a sandwich!! As i am the youngest of 3, my sisters are 11 and 13 years older than me, so were mostly out doing there own things. So along to the bootfairs i went, while my mum and dad would sell and take turns to have a wander and look for bargains. I remember loving it when i was brought loads of toys and clothes as a kid, always something new to play with or wear and receiving big black bin bags of my cousins hand me downs felt like christmas looking through at all the goodies!! Then when i hit my teenage years i would turn my nose up and be miss snooty!! wanting only new things direct from the most fashionable shop! uck im not wearing or using other peoples rejects!! lol i look back at my attitude then as a young teenager and cringe at myself but now chance would have it since getting with my hubby at the age of 24 i started to see things my parents way and have developed a wise head or turned into my parents you could say! I now watch Antiques roadshow, bargain hunters, cash in the attic as well as a number of other programmes in similar nature and absolutely adore trawling through the charity shops, wandering up and down the aisles of bootfairs on a sunny day and keeping an eye open for bargains as well as jumble sales & garage sales.. and now it is even easier to do from home getting the occasional bargain from ebay and even the facebook for sale groups i must be a member of about 15 different ones mostly in my area!! Just love a bargain why pay full price when u can grab a bargain for less than a quarter of the original price you might sometimes pay in a shop! or better still if someone gives it to you for free!..Here are some of my thrifty bargains for your perusal!


This stand i bought at a bootfair the other week for a £1..i now use this to store my cake Decorating bits


This Wooden wine box i found in a charity shop for £1 which i have attached to a large beam next to my cooker and use to store my olive oil bottles! they fit perfectly and can be hidden away.


These Decorative heart storage tins were purchased from a bootfair again for £1 i love everything hearts & shabby chic so this stands proudly on my kitchen dresser


This set was a special buy i love everything Emma Bridgewater and this is practically the same as her hearts design but this was a fraction of the price at £5 for the set! this i purchased in a local shop in my village a converted barn which a lady sells house clearence items and antiques! Always beautiful items on display i will only ever buy from there if there is a sale on though.


This set of decorative plaques were purchased from an indoor Tablesale which i paid £2 for the prices states on the back they are from Next and retail value is £19.99 these fit perfectly in my Sitting Room with my Shabby Chic decor



Some more decorative wall art which i purchased from a charity shop for £2 love the light pastel colours & Roses are my fav..


These very cute cats a Draught Excluder and a Felicity Purring doorstop made by Doramouse & Company these really fit in at my country cottage i bought these at a local bootfair for £2 i am not sure how much they are new but they are very good quality


This heart notice board or photo frame which i use it for was purchased at a bootfair.. I had gone to one stall where a lady was selling a pink one for £5 i oohed and ahhed a bit as have been wanting one but decided to think on it and come back to her but i did purchase a string of decorative sewed hearts in beautiful materials with crystal beads which i now have draped in my bedroom for £2 but on turning down the next aisle i spotted this white one i asked how much and the man said umm £1? Yes please! just shows you should never impulse buy as something of a better price might be just around the corner! :)


These lovely cushions were given to me from my Auntie who actually lives next door to me she originally had these hand made and they feather cushions they must have cost a lot to be made but she gave them to me as she was changing her decor, I had recently changed my decor from chocolate corner sofa to 2 cream sofas with cream curtains and the shabby chic country cottage look and was looking for some nice cushions and was thinking of pastel colours maybe but when given these they fit perfectly so very grateful for these


Lastly for now.. we have this small shabby chic style mirror which i purchased from the same tabletop sales as the wall plaques for £2 which hangs in my hallway

On looking around my house i have an array of thrifty bargains which i treasure more than the shop bought items.. I love anything that has a history much preferring solid antique furniture to modern i will do some further posts of my thrifty finds when i get a chance Xx


Quote for the day

                               “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful”

                                                                                               By William Morris














No comments:

Post a Comment