Monday 20 August 2012

Hello and welcome to my new blog!!

Having just finished 8 years of employment working for a healthcare insurance company, I am now to be a stay at home mummy to my 1 year old daughter and my 3 year old son.  I have been working since i left school and am now taking a year out so as to spend some quality time with my kids before they both start school next september,without the stresses of work life.
My frugal journey begins now, I have had some practice already where money has been short on and off but now we are going down to one salary i am going into Frugaldom & Thriftyness full time and am looking forward to the challenge :) to experience more joy from the simple things in life, to find a use for everything, to cut back on leftovers. to make more homemade meals, homemade gifts, learning to sew and making do and mending! 

So starting today we have had a pretty productive day so far...
I went through my bread bin and had about 3 packets of bread in there with a few slices and crusts at the bottom of each, normally i would not bother using them assuming them mouldy or stale and would sling them in the bin.. but having been learning more about being frugal i have gone through the bread the mouldiest bits i have slung out but have checked over all the rest about 9 slices bagged them into freezer bags and frozen so when we need some toast we can grab a few slices when we need it..
we were also given a large bag of hotdog size rolls the other day when friends came round for a bbq there was a large bag left so have bagged them up and frozen too so they can be used at a later date for garlic bread & homemade pizza bread..
we had some strawberries in the fridge that were starting to look less than appertising, again i would have thrown straight in the bin but i went through them took the manky looking bits of skin off and was able to use the whole lot in our breakfast fruit salads with yoghurt this morning they were perfectly fine under the skin and very tasty still..
My sister brought us round 3 large marrows



which her neighbour had given her she was given 11 large marrows in total and was worrying about what to do with them all so gave us 3, i will be doing stuffed marrow for dinner later with 2 of them using a minced beef recipe and have given one to my next door neighbour who is actually my uncle he loves marrow and is looking forward to eating his too..
My sister also gave me a cars single duvet cover for my son, a waterproof undersheet for a single bed which we can use for my daughter when she has her single bed,

a purple hippo cushion



 which you can use to put your pyjamas in so my son or daughter can have this and a star trek cushion rucksack thing!


 which is a bit scay looking so might see if i can sell it for a bit of cash sis is happy with this as wasnt too keen on it either! lol
My husband has been busy all day making a cat shed for our kitty who is now getting used to being outside and caught his first mouse yesterday

spot the kitty!


.. hubby has been using left over bits of wood he has found around the garden and some leftover felt for the cat house which is big enough for the cat bed & his food,so if he decides to be a dirty stop out and stay out for half the night he has a nice cosy warm place to go..
I find now that everything i use i am now looking for an alternative to just throwing the item out ie i had just enjoyed a nice juicy orange and then wondered if there was anything i could use the orange peels for, after looking into this i found lots of uses for orange peels to name a few.. candied orange peel which sounds delish..orange peel kindling for the fire which will also fill the air with a lovely citrusy smell mm .. also a beauty product zest the peel mix with some sugar and olive oil to make an exfoliating body scrub, also good for rubbing on skin as a mosquito repellent and keeping ants away and cats off plants and so many more as well as the banana skin, read a number of ways to use these too for cleaning plant leafs shining shoes fixing scratches on cds and dvds .. found this very interesting and informing that i will be doing a 2nd post re uses for fruit leftovers shortly..my Aunt also bought me a beautiful cake topper..( I am very into my cakes at the mo)



 from the bootsale for a £1 it is brand new in box with a price of £10.95 so am very pleased with that and popped up to our local tescos got a loaf of bread reduced to 49p which i will freeze until needed and used my free gift receipt of a free tub of tesco finest ice cream



 they only had 1 left which was a creamy latte one but was very tasty indeed and free :) shop price £2.75..to finish off my list i was also given a posy of sweet peas



 from my godmother which fills the air with a most gorgeous scent.. and the kids were both treated to £20 each from nanny and a ladybird and turtle rucksack bag each



 to take on our camping holiday this coming weekend as well as some choccies :) ... x

No comments:

Post a Comment